Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Quick Roasted Vegetables


Finding cheap food that is also healthy and delicious when you have to come home from work and then do some uni work and then clean up and then and then and then...etc.. is not easy. But I reckon it's not impossible.

I try not to spend more than $5 on a home cooked meal for myself. But for much less you end up in plain noodle territory, which is cheap but not particularly nutritious. Last night's meal, however, came in at around $5 and was very satisfying. I cut up and roasted a whole heap of assorted (some new and some hanging-around-in-the-fridge) vegetables, seasoned with salt, olive oil, pepper, and freshly ground cumin.

Quick Roasted Vegetables

Assorted veges - I used zucchini, fennel, eggplant, garlic cloves & capsicum (but I also roast a lot of sweet potato, onion, and pre-cooked chickpeas)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Cumin seed
Something to go with it - I had a piece of cheap fish (Basa fillet).

Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
Grease a baking tray and chop veges into bite sized pieces. Scatter on tray, sprinkle over freshly ground salt, pepper, and cumin seed to taste (you can use whichever spices you like. I love cumin). Dab with a bit of olive oil.

Put in oven around 20-30 mins or until done to your liking.

Serving suggestions: with a piece of fish, cooked with some oil and lemon, or another type of meat, or some sort of vegetarian substitute, or maybe some mashed potato...yum!

No comments: